Saturday, February 6, 2010

Avatar

Holy Moley! Simply Amazing! I’ve never seen anything like it!

Why on earth haven’t I already seen "Avatar"? I mean, good grief...I’m a critic…well more like the mom next door movie reviewer. And the truth is I’d been subconsciously boycotting "Avatar" because I didn’t want to support James Cameron. I thought Jimmy seemed a little too big for his britches. So, mentally, I was avoiding it….and boy has James missed my $15 dollars contribution. "Avatar" has made over $2 billion since it was released, now surpassing "The Titanic", the highest grossing movie of all time. What's the common link between these two films? Cameron, he directed both. Maybe, his pants fit just fine, he truly is a movie genius!

I’ve heard people say they thought the film was anti-American. I didn’t see it in this light at all. The movie clearly shows how everyone loses in war, which most people agree, but I saw no indication of anti-American. The tone set by "Avatar" is pro-peace.

"Avatar" is rated PG-13, for intense epic battle sequences and for warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking. Personally, I thought it could have done without the smoking. There's a significant amount of cussing and my guess is in a real war there is a fair amount that goes on. So, while I wish there was less language, I think it depicts a dose of reality for men and women who are in battle.

The last 12 years “Good Will Hunting” has been my favorite movie, followed closely by “The Prince of Tides”. “Avatar”, has now slid into first place…it’s a narrow margin between the three films, but none the less “Avatar” has taken the lead.

For the handful of people who haven’t already seen "Avatar" I recommend you RACE to a 3-D IMAX and watch it. If you’ve already seen it, and saw it on a regular screen, I don’t think you could have had the same experience. I recommend you RACE again and watch it at a 3-D IMAX! Chances are you’ll sit there with your cool 3-D shades on and your mouth open in awe, I know I did!

Rating for "Avatar" = ***** RACE To This Movie

R.A.N.’s Rating System:
*****RACE To This Movie = Amazing/Oscar Worthy
****RUN To This Movie = Great
***JOG To This Movie = Good
**WALK To This Movie = So-So
*SKIP Past This Movie = Bad


5 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I have been feeling the same way about "spending my money" on this... especially in the IMAX. I've sent Troy to go see it, but it was sold out, thinking I didn't want/need to see it, but I TOTALLY will now. Has Ethan seen it? Do you think Noah should go? Thanks, girl--now I just need to find a sitter for the 3+ hours to go see it!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica. Yes, Ethan saw it. He loved it! Again, the cussing...urgh...check out the post on my FB Pg! 5 out of 6 people 100 agree. I've gotten more post on this movie than any! the time flies by...Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a movie person. Our family went to Avatar on New Years Eve. I went because it was family night (in other words, I wasn't thrilled about going). I loved it too; I've never seen anything like it. Yes, some of the content is controversial; but, it's a movie --- entertainment. I guess, I am not the type to try and find hidden meanings. The special effects had me blown away the entire movie. I agree with you Rachele...Race to Avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I re-read my post. I hope you all read that I was very excited to be out for family night...not thrilled about going to a movie! :) Just want to make that clear...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. No doubt in my mind that you love hanging out with your family. Thanks for the post. I love it when people comment.

    ReplyDelete